Saturday, April 10, 2010

Servant Leadership!

I would define leadership as a quality that anyone can possess where they serve the ones they lead, and motivate others to do unite with them in achieving a common goal.
One thing that has really impacted me this semester is when we learned about being a servant leader, someone who is willing to serve those they lead. I loved talking about Divine Centered leadership and really enjoyed reading all about it. This is why I BYU is so awesome - in your leadership class you learn how to be a leader through following Jesus Christ's example because he is the perfect leader. He didn't do things to get glory or power. He did them to serve because he loves each and every person he leads. One part in the Divine Centered Leadership talked about doing God's will and not your own. It talks about how we need to ask Heavenly Father in our prayers to help us know what he would have us do each day. Instead of asking "What would Jesus do?" we can ask, "What would Jesus have me do?" We have opportunities that we need to embrace and can truly create and seek leadership opportunities more easily if we are willing to ask what Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father would have us do. I have tried to implement this habit of asking the Lord's will in my daily prayers and have been more aware to the opportunities I have every day in my life to be a leader to others by serving others. I am so happy that this class really emphasized servant leadership because it is a different concept of leadership compared to the world's view of its definition. We, as members of the church, need to be willing to lead humbly through our service. We shouldn't seek powerful roles to get gain or the praise of man - we should seek to first serve the Lord through serving his children. Jesus said, "If ye love me, feed my sheep." I truly want to encompass this statement and show my love for the Savior by having charity towards all people.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful insight Jadeyn. Thank you for your leadership this semester! Good luck with the rest of your BYU years!

    ReplyDelete